Rainbow Fondant Letters Tutorial
How about creating upright standing 3D rainbow fondant letters for your cakes? Interesting?
Well, I tried making these rainbow colored fondant letters for a rainbow themed birthday cake, and I must say, I was very very pleased with the way they turned out.
And making these pretty letters was not hard. Let me show you how I made these rainbow beauties.
How to Make Rainbow Fondant Letters
These were the main supplies I used to make the letters:
- Fondant - I used Satin Ice fondant. Though these letters were made standing upright, I did not use any CMC or tylose. The letters formed well and set hard nevertheless.
- Food colors - I tinted the fondant in 7 colors to match that of a rainbow. And I used both Wilton as well as Americolor food coloring to create the rainbow color shades.
- Fondant letter cutters - I purchased these from a local cake decorating supplies shop. And I must admit, I really really love using these cutters. They are perfect for making 3D lettering on cakes and I have used these cutters for many of my cake projects.
- Extruder Tool and medium sized round disc - I used the extruder tool fitted with a medium sized round disc to create fondant strips in rainbow colors.
- Fondant glue
- Icing sugar to dust
- Needle tool and rolling pin - The 2 tools assisted in removing the cut out fondant letters from the cutters.
And here's how I made the letters:
- The first step in making these rainbow colored letters is to tint fondant in the colors of the rainbow. And here was how I mixed my colors:
- Red - White fondant + Americolor Red Red
- Yellow - Yellow fondant + white fondant
- Orange - Orange fondant + white fondant
- Green - White fondant + Americolor Avocado
- Blue - Baby Blue Fondant
- Indigo - White fondant + Americolor Royal Blue (2 parts) + Americolor Red Red (1 part)
- Violet - White fondant + Americolor Electric Purple.
- Next, using the extruder tool fitted with medium sized round hole, I piped out long strips of fondant, one in each of the seven colors of the rainbow.
- I arranged the strips according in the color order of the rainbow, starting with red and ending with violet.
- And then, I attached them together with fondant glue. I glued red and orange, yellow and green and blue and indigo first.
- Then I glued violet to the blue-indigo group.
- And finally I joined the red-orange, yellow-green and the blue-indigo-violet groups together.
- I used the help of a long ruler to level the sides so that the width of the strip is enough to fit the letter cutters.
- Next was cutting out the rainbow letters. For this, I positioned the rainbow colored fondant strip diagonally and when pressing out the letters with the letter cutters, the cutters were positioned such that all the 7 colors could be seen in each letter and the colors appear diagonally in each of the letters.
- And before pressing the cutters into the fondant, I dipped each of the letter cutters into icing sugar first for easy removal of fondant.
- And in removing the fondant letters from the cutters, I used a rolling pin to tap the letters out. I also used my needle tools to remove excess fondant from the cutters.
- And this was how the complete set of rainbow fondant letters looked like. I let mine dry overnight and placed them on the cake with the help of fondant glue. You can also attached toothpicks to the bottom of each letter and poke them into your cake if you like.
And that's it. My rainbow fondant letters.
Hope you enjoyed reading this and find this useful.
Please leave your thoughts below and I will try my best to revert as soon as I can.
Happy Decorating :)
Click here to see how I made a rainbow themed cake with these rainbow fondant letters.
Mar 11, 20 04:52 AM
Learn how to decorate an easy Star Wars birthday cake with my step by step tutorial. This is a buttercream cake decorated with fondant accents and make an excellent cake for all Darth Maul fans.
Mar 04, 20 04:46 AM
Lion King Cake - An awesome tutorial to make your very own Lion King themed birthday cake. Learn how to make cute Simba cake topper and pretty fondant jungle leaves and palms for a truly awesome birth…
Mar 01, 20 11:56 PM
Here is my easy homemade oatmeal raisin cookies recipe, one that it is super simple as its ingredients are all readily available at home. You can easily whip up a batch of fresh cookies anytime you wa…
- Home >
- Tips and Techniques >
- Rainbow Fondant Letters Tutorial