Rainbow Birthday Cake
Here is a rainbow birthday cake I made for a customer recently. The theme was 'rainbow in the clouds', hence I designed this cake for her.
The cake itself was pretty simple, with a 2D rainbow on the side of the cake and lots of clouds at the base of the cake, the sides as well as on the top. And to add more rainbow colors to the cake, I made the "HAPPY BIRTHDAY' letters in rainbow colors too!
This is how I made the rainbow birthday cake
These were the main supplies I used for the rainbow birthday cake:
- Cake - This was a single tier cake, measuring 6 inches in diameter. The height of the cake was also 6 inches. Inside, the cake consisted of 3 layers sandwiched with buttercream. I used my marble cake recipe for the cake. Since the recipe calculations on my recipe page were meant for cakes with a height of 4 inches, I multiplied the recipe by 1.5 times.
- Buttercream - I used buttercream to fill in between the 3 cake layers as well as to crumb coat the cake. My buttercream recipe can be found here.
- Fondant - I used Satin Ice fondant in white and baby blue. The baby blue fondant was to cover the cake, while the white was for the clouds. I also used fondant for the rainbow letters on the cake as well as the 2D rainbow on the side of the cake.
- Shortening and fondant glue - I used both these mediums as glue on the cake.
- Satin ribbon - I used light blue satin ribbon which I purchased from a local craft shop to wrap around the cake board.
And this was how I assembled the rainbow birthday cake:
- As in most of my cakes, I try to prepare decorations in advance so that I don't have to rush at the very last minute. For this cake, I prepared the 3D fondant clouds and the fondant letters on the cake a few days in advance, not only because they could be made in advance but also because they needed time to set and harden so that they could be placed upright on the cake.
- I have prepared 2 separate tutorial (detailed, step by step instructions) on how to make the fondant clouds and the rainbow letters. Click on each of the images below to learn more.
- And then I wrapped a blue satin ribbon all around the cake board.
- After the rainbow and the ribbon, I worked on the 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' letters on the cake. The letters 'HAPPY' were positioned on the largest 3D cloud on the cake while the letters 'BIRTHDAY' were glued on the cake itself.
- Before gluing the letters to the cloud, I arranged the letters on the cloud and made sure they were centered. And then, I left the letters aside to dry completely.
- Similarly for the word 'BIRTHDAY', to make sure they were perfectly centered, I arranged them in a lying down position as shown below and adjusted the position until the letters were well centered.
- And then I glued them one by one, starting from the middle, with fondant glue.
- Next were the clouds. There were 2 types of fondant clouds on this cake, the first being 2D clouds on the side of the cake, and the other type was 3D clouds on top of the cake (which I prepared in advance to allow sufficient drying time). Again, I have a separate tutorial for these 2D clouds. Click on the image below for the detailed instructions and photos (click here for the 3D clouds tutorial).
- And finally, the 3D clouds went on. I started with the largest one and attached it to the cake with some fondant glue. I had a bit of difficulty in making the clouds stay in place while drying and should have used a long wooden pick inserted to the bottom of the clouds so that they could be held in place more securely. But since the picks should have been inserted while fondant was still soft, it was kind of too late for the picks for me. Instead, I used my food coloring bottles to help support the clouds from falling off while the glue was drying.
- Once dried, I accented the clouds with clusters of fondant balls for extra clouds on the cake.
And that was it. My rainbow birthday cake.
Hope you liked this sharing. Please leave your comments on the section below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Happy Decorating :)
Rainbow Birthday Cake
Jan 03, 20 07:40 PM
Moist and fluffy Christmas cupcakes with cheerful sprinkles inside and outside. These cupcakes are so easy to make and yet so pretty and full of festive cheer!
Dec 23, 19 08:30 AM
Fancy making Christmas wreath cookies? Learn how to make this pretty poinsettia wreath cookies with this step by step tutorial.
Dec 21, 19 08:09 PM
Pretty snowflake sugar cookies made with the most perfect sugar cookie recipe. These cookies are painted on with edible gold, making them absolutely gorgeous cookie gifts for Christmas!
- Home >
- Cake Designs and Tutorial >
- Rainbow Birthday Cake