Sprinkles Layered Cupcakes
These sprinkles layered cupcakes are literally layered with sprinkles. Each cupcake is individually layered into three and filled with sprinkles buttercream.
The cupcakes may be a little time consuming to assemble but the end result is definitely worth it. They leave people wondering how the cupcakes were layered in the first place and the layering also provides a great alternative for filling cupcakes which are otherwise filled in the the centers vertically rather than horizontal layers.
From the outside, the cupcakes look like any other typical cupcakes, with buttercream swirls on top and a sprinkle of colorful sprinkles. But wait until a bite goes into the cupcakes, and then the difference can be felt with the sprinkles filled buttercream that is spread in layers in the cupcake!
Here is how I made the Sprinkles Layered Cupcakes
These were the supplies I used in decorating these sprinkles layered cupcakes:
- Cupcakes - I used my butter pound cake recipe for the cupcakes. And they were baked in paper muffin cups.
- Buttercream - I used my buttercream recipe in soft consistency. The consistency was soft enough for the piped swirls on the cupcakes to fall into soft pleats on top of each layer.
- Sprinkles - There were 2 types of sprinkles used in this cupcakes. The first ones are the slightly long ones (made out of chocolate) which I used to mix into the buttercream to fill the cupcake layers. The second type are called nonpareils. These are tiny round sugar balls coated in a myriad of colors. These were used as sprinkles on top of the cupcakes after the buttercream swirls. Both types of sprinkles were store bought.
- Wilton piping tip #2D
- Piping bag - I used a disposable one here. I prefer disposable for all my decorating projects involving buttercream as they really save my washing time!
And here is how I assembled the cupcakes:
- Once the cupcakes were baked and completely cooled down, I removed them from their casings.
- I then layered each cupcakes into 3, horizontally.
- Starting from the bottom layer, I spread some sprinkles filled buttercream onto each layer. So each cupcake had 2 layers of filling.
- When the filling was done, this was how the re-stacked cupcake looked like.
- I then transferred the cupcakes into new cupcake casings. It may not be very easy to transfer the layered cupcakes back into casings. An easy way to do this would be to turn the cupcakes upside down and then cover with the cupcake casings. Then, hold the casing (with the cupcake inside in an upside down position) and quickly turn it over.
- Once the cupcakes were all into their new casings, I covered the top of each cupcake with buttercream swirls.
- And finally, a sprinkle of the lively bright colored nonpareils. I used the sprinkles sparsely, they look pretty that way on the buttercream swirls.
- And that is it. My sprinkles layered cupcakes.
Jan 03, 20 07:40 PM
Moist and fluffy Christmas cupcakes with cheerful sprinkles inside and outside. These cupcakes are so easy to make and yet so pretty and full of festive cheer!
Dec 23, 19 08:30 AM
Fancy making Christmas wreath cookies? Learn how to make this pretty poinsettia wreath cookies with this step by step tutorial.
Dec 21, 19 08:09 PM
Pretty snowflake sugar cookies made with the most perfect sugar cookie recipe. These cookies are painted on with edible gold, making them absolutely gorgeous cookie gifts for Christmas!
- Home >
- Cake Designs and Tutorial >
- Sprinkles Layered Cupcakes