Polka Dots Purple Minnie Mouse Cake
I made this polka dots purple Minnie Mouse cake for a first year birthday. This is not my original design, I replicated it based on the image provided my customer. I must say, I am totally pleased with the way Minnie's face and the bows turned out!
Polka Dots Purple Minnie Mouse Cake
I actually made an attempt to trace the original designer of this cake, but when I did a search on the internet, I found not one, but MANY similar images of this cake made by many other bakers! This cake design is so popular, there are so many versions of it on the internet and I totally could not trace the original designer (if you happen to know, please let me know here, or in the comments section at the end of this page so that I can give due credit to the deserving designer).
So back to this cake that I made. It was a single tier cake, and Minnie face topper was made out of styrofoam. I don't have any step by steps photos of how I made the topper, but hopefully the tips below will help.
Here is how I decorated this polka dots purple Minnie Mouse cake:
These were the main supplies used for this purple Minnie Mouse cake:
- Minnie mouse face topper - The topper was handmade using styrofoam and covered in fondant.See below for details on how I made this topper.
- Cake - this is a single tier cake and was made using my butter pound cake recipe. Click here for the recipe.
- Buttercream - I used vanilla buttercream to fill the cake and crumb coat it.
- Fondant - I used Satin Ice fondant for this project. The entire cake was covered in light purple tinted fondant. I also used fondant to make the butterflies and flowers on the cake as well as to make Minnie topper.
- Gumpaste - I used gumpaste for the 2 bows on the cake; one on Minnie and the other at the base of the cake. Gumpaste is the best medium for the bows because it could be rolled really thin and since the bows were large, it is really important that they are not too heavy or they will not be able to stay on Minnie's head and the side of the cake.
- Floral wires and lollipop sticks- the flowers and butterflies on the cake were wired and I attached them to the cake with the help of lollipop sticks.
- Butterfly and flower cutters - These were to make the butterflies and flowers on the cake.
- Alphabet Cutters - I used Clixstix alphabet cutters for the wordings on the cake.
- Shortening and fondant glue - I used both these mediums as the glue to attached the deco on cake. I used fondant glue to attached both the bows while shortening was used for everything else.
Purple Minnie Mouse Cake
And this was how I assembled the purple Minnie Mouse cake:
- I made the Minnie topper and the bows in advance. The bows needed time to set and therefore were made 2 days in advance. Once they were dry and set, I attached Minnie's bow to her head and left the topper lying flat so that the bow could get attached securely to the topper. The other bow had to wait until the rest of the cake deco was completed so I simple left the bow aside until it was ready to be used.
- Like I mentioned earlier, the topper was made out of styrofoam. I got Minnie's face image from the internet, scaled it to the size I wanted for the topper and printed it out. I then cut it along its outline and used the template to cut my styrofoam (I used a battery operated foam cutter). Next, I rolled black fondant into thin sheet and used the paper template to make 2 cut outs. I attached both on each side of the styrofoam. For the sides, I cut out a long fondant strip (in the same width as the the styrofoam topper and attached it all around the sides and smoothed the edges.
- For the face, I used Ivory fondant and used my paper template to cut out the face. And I repeated the same process for the rest of the facial features. Finally, I attached one of the bows on her head and left the topper lying flat to allow the bow to dry and secure in place.
- As for the bows, to make the polka dot design, I cut out the gumpaste for the bow, and then attached the purple polka dots with fondant glue before I shaped the bow. Follow the tutorial below to learn how to make the bow. Just increase the width of each loop when you cut your rolled gumpaste to get the larger bow.
- After the topper and the bows, next were the flowers and butterflies. I had cutters for these and attached them to floral wires.
- To assemble the cake, I did all the usual stuff (layered, filled and crumb coat) and then covered the cake with fondant. Then, I cut out the wordings and attached them to the cake and cake board with shortening. Next, I inserted 2 wires to the bottom of Minnie's face, and then inserted the other end of the wires into 2 lollipop sticks. I then poked the topper with lollipop sticks into the cake. The lollipop sticks is to prevent direct contact of the wire with the cake. See the image below from my mini flower pot cake tutorial on how I inserted floral wire into lollipop stick before poking it into my cake.
This was how I inserted wires into lollipop sticks before poking them into cakes to avoid direct contact of the wires with cake.
- After the topper, I attached the flowers and butterflies in a similar manner before attaching white polka dots all over the cake in random order.
- Once the polka dots were done, I attached a plain thin rolled border for the cake, attached the side ribbons before putting on the bow. I had to support the bow by gently tying a ribbon around the cake to hold it in place until the glue has dried and the bow secure in place.
And that was how I decorated the Polka Dot Purple Minnie Mouse Cake.
Happy Decorating :)
Jan 03, 20 07:40 PM
Moist and fluffy Christmas cupcakes with cheerful sprinkles inside and outside. These cupcakes are so easy to make and yet so pretty and full of festive cheer!
Dec 23, 19 08:30 AM
Fancy making Christmas wreath cookies? Learn how to make this pretty poinsettia wreath cookies with this step by step tutorial.
Dec 21, 19 08:09 PM
Pretty snowflake sugar cookies made with the most perfect sugar cookie recipe. These cookies are painted on with edible gold, making them absolutely gorgeous cookie gifts for Christmas!
- Home >
- Cake Designs >
- Polka Dots Purple Minnie Mouse Cake