Easy Basket Weave Cake Decorating Technique
Basket weave cake decorating pattern is typically created by piping buttercream or royal icing into basket weave patterns. Here is another basket weave cake decorating technique that can be used to produce basket weave pattern on cakes.
And the best part about this technique is that it can be done with just a fork, there is no need for any fancy tools or even piping bags and icing tips!
In the image above, I have used chocolate ganache to create the basket weave pattern, but other icings like buttercream and royal icing can also be used and will produce similar results as chocolate ganache.
How to Create Easy Basket Weave Cake Decorating Pattern on Cakes
These are the main supplies that are needed for this basket weave pattern:
- Chocolate ganache - Like I mentioned earlier, I used chocolate ganache in this tutorial, but really, any icing in soft consistency such as buttercream would work perfectly well for this technique.
- Your favorite cake, all baked and cooled
And here are the step by step instructions for the basket weave pattern:
- Prepare your cake. Level it and brush off any loose cake crumbs.
- Take generous amount of chocolate ganache and spread it onto your cake with a palate knife. Cover the whole cake with chocolate ganache evenly. As you can see in the picture, the icing is not 'perfectly' smooth. For this design, it would suffice if the cake is evenly coated with ganache, there is no need to get it perfectly smooth.
- Next, using a fork, mark long vertical lines of design as shown. Make sure the space in between each set of fork lines are of the same width as the fork. I free handed it here, but if you cannot get the lines straight, you can use a clean ruler as a guide.
- Once done with the vertical lines, its time to mark the horizontal ones. In this step, you will have to mark the lines in between the vertical ones.
- Following that, make another set of short horizontal lines, this time one row above the earlier horizontal lines but right on the vertical lines made in step one above.
- Fill up the gaps between the newly marked horizontal lines with short vertical lines, as shown.
- Moving on to the next row, repeat marking horizontal lines in between the existing vertical lines.
- Again, make another set of short horizontal lines, this time one row above the earlier horizontal lines but right on the vertical lines made in step one above.
- Fill up the gap between the newly marked horizontal lines with short vertical lines, as shown.
- Repeat the steps above until the whole cake is covered with basket weave design. Do the same for the sides of the cake as well.
- This is how a completed basket weave design will look like.
- If you like, you can even make broader basket weave designs, like in the image here. All you need to do is to make two sets of fork lines instead of one set as shown in the instructions above.
Hope you find this useful. If you have any questions or need further clarification, please leave your message in the section below, I will revert as soon as I can.
Happy Decorating :)
Mar 11, 20 04:52 AM
Learn how to decorate an easy Star Wars birthday cake with my step by step tutorial. This is a buttercream cake decorated with fondant accents and make an excellent cake for all Darth Maul fans.
Mar 04, 20 04:46 AM
Lion King Cake - An awesome tutorial to make your very own Lion King themed birthday cake. Learn how to make cute Simba cake topper and pretty fondant jungle leaves and palms for a truly awesome birth…
Mar 01, 20 11:56 PM
Here is my easy homemade oatmeal raisin cookies recipe, one that it is super simple as its ingredients are all readily available at home. You can easily whip up a batch of fresh cookies anytime you wa…
- Home >
- Tips and Techniques >
- Easy Basket Weave Cake Decorating Technique