Puppy In a Box Cake
I made this puppy in a box cake for a lady who loves her dog
to bits. The cake was ordered by her daughter and she specifically requested
for a dog to be incorporated into the cake design, hence I came up with this
puppy in a box design.
Puppy In a Box Cake
The cake was pretty straightforward to decorate, I had the
box cover that is leaning against the cake made in Styrofoam and covered in
fondant so that saved me the trouble of having to structure and support the
piece had it been made with cake. And the puppy head was made of fondant that
has been added CMC. The lollipop was hand made with fondant and the pink roses
on the cake were store bought.
Here is how I decorated the puppy in a box cake:
These were the main supplies needed for the cake:
- Cake – I baked a 7 inches square cake. The cake itself is
approximately 4 inches in height and I used my butter pound cake recipe.
- Buttercream – As in almost all my cakes, I used buttercream
to fill the cake as well as to crumb coat it.
- Fondant – The whole cake was covered and decorated in
fondant. I used Satin Ice fondant for every deco piece on the cake including
the puppy head and the lollipop. For these 2 items, since they were in 3D
shapes, I added some CMC to help them hold shape better. I also used CMC added
white fondant to make the ‘tissue’ paper in the box.
- Gumpaste roses – I used a total of 5 small gumpaste roses.
These were store bought.
- Extruder tool – I used the extruder tool to make the fondant
rope border for the cake.
- Plaque cutter – I used the plaque cutter to put the birthday
message on the cake board
- Alphabet cutters – I used tappit cutters for the alphabets
on the cake. These were cut out using gumpaste.
- Styrofoam – I used a flat square Styrofoam piece in the same
size as the cake to be used at the lid for the box cake.
- Round plunger cutters – These were used to create the polka
dots on the box lid.
And this was how I decorated and assembled the cake:
- As usual, all deco elements that could be made ahead of time
were prepared in advance. These included the puppy head and his birthday hat,
the lollipop and the box lid.
- Next was the cake. I baked it in 2 separate tins. Once baked
and completely cooled, I layered and sandwiched them with buttercream. And then
I crumb coated the cake before covering it with fondant. For the fondant, I did not cover the entire
cake like how I normally do for all cakes. Instead, I only covered the sides
with white fondant and attached the vertical strips of purple, pink and brown
fondant all around the cake. Once the strips were completed, I attached a
rolled fondant border on the top edges of the cake. For the bottom border, I
used my extruder tool to pipe out a rope border in purple fondant and attached
it to the cake with shortening.
- Next to go on the cake were the fondant tissues on top of
the cake. To do this, I rolled my white fondant really thin and cut them into
random square and rectangle pieces. I then placed them slightly crumpled all
over the top of the cake until it is well covered with them.
- Then, on one corner, I attached the fondant lollipop with at
the other corner, the puppy with party hat went on.
- I completed the rest of the deco (the gumpaste roses and
name plaque) before placing the box lid on the side of the cake. To make the
the lid does not move, I attached it to the cake and the cake board with
Puppy In a Box Cake
And that was how I decorated my puppy in the box cake.
Hope you enjoyed this sharing.
Mar 11, 20 04:52 AM
Learn how to decorate an easy Star Wars birthday cake with my step by step tutorial. This is a buttercream cake decorated with fondant accents and make an excellent cake for all Darth Maul fans.
Mar 04, 20 04:46 AM
Lion King Cake - An awesome tutorial to make your very own Lion King themed birthday cake. Learn how to make cute Simba cake topper and pretty fondant jungle leaves and palms for a truly awesome birth…
Mar 01, 20 11:56 PM
Here is my easy homemade oatmeal raisin cookies recipe, one that it is super simple as its ingredients are all readily available at home. You can easily whip up a batch of fresh cookies anytime you wa…
- Home >
- Cake Designs and Tutorial >
- Puppy In a Box Cake