Perfect Homemade Sugar Cookies Recipe
My all time favorite, perfect homemade sugar cookies recipe for decorated cookies.
Perfect Homemade Sugar Cookies
This sugar cookies recipe is the only recipe I used
when making decorated cookies.
It never fails me every single time and has the best texture
for decorated cookies – rich butter taste without being overly greasy and
sweet and holds it shape so perfectly.
The thing I like most about these cookies is that they don’t lose their shape when baking. One thing you will notice in this cookie recipe is that I do not use any raising agents - these is no baking powder or baking soda. And the intention is to make sure the cookies do not rise. If they do, they will lose their original shape and so I prefer not to use any raising agents in my recipe. And because of this, this recipe is perfect for making decorated cookies, in the sense that whatever size dough I put on my baking tray before it goes into the oven comes out perfectly baked in the exact same size I put it in. This really helps especially when I decorate my cookies with fondant and use the same cutter for cutting the cookie dough and the fondant. I am always able to get well aligned sizes of the cookies and the fondant cut outs without major adjustments and that really saves me a lot of time!
Here are a couple of notes about these sugar cookies:
- This recipe is for vanilla flavored sugar
cookies. You can use the same recipe to create different flavored cookies. See
the notes at the recipe section below on how to adjust the recipe for lemon, chocolate,
orange and coffee flavored cookies.
- The dough refrigerates well, not only after mixing,
but also after rolling and cutting. The last time I made these cookies, I refrigerated
the dough for one day. The next day, I rolled and cut the cookies out, placed
them on a baking tray and only baked them 4 days later. The results, absolutely
- To make sure the cookies don’t lose their shape,
place the cut out cookies onto a baking tray and refrigerate them until they
are firm, before popping them into the oven to bake. That way, the baked
cookies will come out baked in the exact shape you put them in.
- To ensure you can uniform thickness for all your cookies, place dowel rods on either side of the dough and roll it with the rolling pin resting on the sticks on either side of the rolling pin. That way, the thickness of the rolled dough will be uniform all over and so would your cookies, after cutting them out.
Here is the full, printable version of my homemade sugar cookies recipe:
Homemade Sugar Cookies
By Decorated Treats, July 15, 2019
Perfect homemade sugar cookies recipe for decorated cookies..
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 10 Minutes
Yield: Varies on cookie cutter size
Keyword: Homemade Sugar Cookies
- 400 g Plain flour
- 180 g Castor sugar
- 200 g Butter (salted)
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp Vanilla essence
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and pre heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Place butter in a clean bowl. Add caster sugar and cream both until the mixture turns light and creamy. Do not over mix the batter.
- Next, add the egg and continue beating until it is well incorporated into the creamed mixture. Add vanilla essence and mix again.
- Finally, add the flour in batch and mix until the dough comes together. Place the dough in a covered bowl and refrigerate until it is firm.
- Remove dough from the fridge and roll it on a plastic sheet. Use dowel rods as guide for the thickness of your dough. Cut the dough into desired shapes and refrigerate them again until they are firm.
- Bake the cookies in a pre-heated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies) until they have turned golden brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool them on a wire rack. Keep cookies in an air tight container until ready to be decorated. The cookies can also be served plain.
- Lemon Sugar Cookies - omit vanilla essence and added in 1 tbsp of fresh grated lemon rind.
- Orange Sugar Cookies - omit vanilla essence and add in 1 tbsp of fresh grated orange rind.
Chocolate Cookies - reduce flour by 50 grams and add 50 grams of cocoa powder. Sift the cocoa powder with flour before adding into the creamed cookie batter.
Coffee Cookies - mix 1 tsp of instant coffee powder with a few drops of hot water until dissolved. Add into the batter before adding in the flour.
Hope you like these cookies.
Happy baking :)
Pin this recipe for later here:
Perfect Homemade Sugar Cookies Recipe
Jan 03, 20 07:40 PM
Moist and fluffy Christmas cupcakes with cheerful sprinkles inside and outside. These cupcakes are so easy to make and yet so pretty and full of festive cheer!
Dec 23, 19 08:30 AM
Fancy making Christmas wreath cookies? Learn how to make this pretty poinsettia wreath cookies with this step by step tutorial.
Dec 21, 19 08:09 PM
Pretty snowflake sugar cookies made with the most perfect sugar cookie recipe. These cookies are painted on with edible gold, making them absolutely gorgeous cookie gifts for Christmas!
- Home >
- Other Treats >
- Perfect Homemade Sugar Cookies Recipe