Coconut Macaroons Recipe
This coconut macaroons recipe yields absolutely decadent treats. With light crispy shells enveloping deliciously chewy centers, these macaroons are an absolutely satisfying sweet treat for any occasion.
I have been wanting to try making coconut macaroons for the longest time until today when I decided to finally try them. And I totally loved the way they turned out with light texture that was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
It all started with me thinking of baking something for my kids. We have run out of cookies at home and I could see them checking the fridge and the kitchen for things to snack on. I have 2 teenage boys who are constantly hungry and a 5 year boy who constantly tries to follow his older brothers. Plus my husband, I have enough quorum to make baked goodies often and it gives me great pleasure in doing just that.
Coconut Macaroons Recipe - My Notes
So I looked for ingredients at home to make their favorite chocolate chip cookies and then I saw my packet of desiccated coconut which I purchased to make coconut cookies for Diwali last October. And I decided that its finally time that I make my coconut macaroons that I have been so wanting to try.
The macaroons turned out really awesome. I made a small batch of 47 small cookies, and by the time I finished baking the last batch, almost 1/4 of the cookies were already gone!
This macaroons recipe has a total of 6 ingredients. The main ones are off course the egg whites and sugar. Next to that is desiccated coconut, cornflour, salt and vanilla essence.
The process of making coconut macaroons is the same as making plain macaroons which typically starts with the whisking of egg whites until stiff peaks form. Sugar is then added while the whisking is continued until the egg whites turn glossy and still remain stiff. The salt and vanilla essence goes next and in the case of these coconut macaroons, the cornflour and desiccated coconut is folded in right at the end.
As for shaping these macaroons, you have just drop spoonfuls of the meringue batter onto the baking trays and bake them just like that. Or you can fill the batter into a piping bag and pipe them out either in medium sized plain round dots or use a large star tip for more fancy looking macaroons. I choose to make mine a little fancy and used the large star tip number 865
A couple of important points to note when making macaroons are:
- Make sure the egg whites do not contain any traces of egg yolk
- Make sure the beaters and bowl you use to ABSOLUTELY FREE OF GREASE. I cannot say this enough as any slight trace of grease will result in the egg whites not being able to froth and hold shape.
- When folding in the coconut and flour, do it gently. Fold these in manually instead of using your cake mixers.
- If you take note of the above, I am confident that you can make this coconut macaroons with complete success.
- It is also worth mentioning here that I have used unsweetened desiccated coconut in this recipe. Desiccated coconut is finely shredded coconut and is dry. The combination of the unsweetened coconut and the amount of sugar I have included in the recipe is just nice to yield macaroons that are not overly sweet.
- And my oven temperature for this cookies as slightly lower at 150 degrees Celsius than that I normally use for cookies which is 175 degrees Celsius. This was mainly to make sure my macaroons do not turn brown. Cooking them at a lower temperature for slightly longer time gives this macaroons the lovely light and crisp shell that is just very lightly browned.
With the recipe measurement below, I was able to make 47 cookies. The final number you get out of this recipe will vary depending on the size you wish to make your macaroons.
Coconut Macaroons Recipe
These are best served within a day or two. Store remaining in airtight container.
Here is the full, printable version of the coconut macaroons recipe:
By Decorated Treats, Feb 13, 2019
Coconut macaroons with light crispy shells with deliciously chewy centers.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 15 Minutes
Keyword: Coconut Macaroons
- 2 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 150 g icing sugar (sifted to remove any lumps)
- 60 g desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 ⅓ tbsp corn flour
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius. Line 2 baking trays with baking sheets.
- Place egg whites in a grease-free bowl and whisk until the eggs turn frothy and are able to form peaks.
- Continue beating until the mixture turns smoother and then add the icing sugar, a little at a time. Add salt and continue whisking until the mixture turns glossy and stiff peaks form when the whisks are lifted off the bowl.
- Add the vanilla essence and give the mixture a good whisk until its well incorporated.
- Next, add the cornflour and coconut into the egg whites and fold them in with a metal spoon. Do not over beat.
- Fill the macaroons mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe macaroons onto baking sheet lined trays and bake for about 13 to 15 minutes at 150 degrees Celsius.
- Remove cookies from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Coconut Macaroons Recipe
Hope you like this coconut macaroons recipe. Happy Baking :)
Pin this for later here:
Jan 03, 20 07:40 PM
Moist and fluffy Christmas cupcakes with cheerful sprinkles inside and outside. These cupcakes are so easy to make and yet so pretty and full of festive cheer!
Dec 23, 19 08:30 AM
Fancy making Christmas wreath cookies? Learn how to make this pretty poinsettia wreath cookies with this step by step tutorial.
Dec 21, 19 08:09 PM
Pretty snowflake sugar cookies made with the most perfect sugar cookie recipe. These cookies are painted on with edible gold, making them absolutely gorgeous cookie gifts for Christmas!
- Home >
- Other Treats >
- Coconut Macaroons Recipe