Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Banana oatmeal muffins filled generously with mashed bananas and whole rolled oats for a healthier muffin option. The bananas keep the muffins deliciously moist and tender and the whole rolled oats make these a wholesome breakfast treat.
Banana oatmeal muffins
Every time I make a banana based treat (like my moist banana cake or chocolate banana cake), it is because I have left over bananas at home. Bananas are very versatile fruits, they are great to be eaten simply as fruits and they are equally awesome to be cooked or baked into delicious treats.
This is my first try at using bananas with oatmeal in muffins. I have eaten oats with bananas for breakfast before and they definitely go along very well. And so I thought, it would be a good combination to make them into muffins as breakfast treats too.
My initial plan was to use the more refined instant oatmeal but I realized I have ran out of it at home and the only oats I had was a packet of whole rolled oats. I love whole rolled oats to be cooked and eaten as porridge, but was not quite sure how it would turn out when added to muffins. I went ahead in using them, and I must say, the results were very good. The oats blended well with the rest of the ingredients and but you can still feel them with every bite of the muffin you take. Its somewhat similar eating wholemeal bread which I felt was quite befitting for a healthy wholesome snack.
As for the bananas, I used about 4 medium sized, fully ripe bananas. It's a little hard to describe bananas by their size so I measured mine and the total I used was 250 g. These well all very ripe and sweet, so I limited the amount of sugar in the recipe to 70 g and even that, I used brown sugar. With the banana, I did not add any other liquid to the muffin batter except for oil and that was just perfect. Salt is also a must for this recipe as it really matters to the taste, so be sure to not skip it.
The rest of the ingredients in this wholesome banana oatmeal muffins recipe is pretty standard for muffins - eggs, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla essence.
For garnish, I sprinkled some rolled oats on the muffin batter after filling the muffin casings. You can also add sliced bananas if you wish.
I have not tried any variations with the ingredients in this recipe but I am sure chocolate chips and nuts will be a good addition.
How to Make Banana Oatmeal Muffins
The process of making this muffins is pretty easy, in fact, it is easier than making cupcakes. You literally mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another and then combine them and fill into muffin cups
. Easy right?
- I started by measuring and sifting my flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
- To that I added the sugar and whole rolled oats.
- In a separate bowl, I peeled and mashed the bananas.
- In a separate container, I whisked the egg yolk and oil lightly and poured this egg mixture into the mashed bananas. To that, I added some vanilla essence.
- To combine all the ingredients, I made a well in the center of the dry ingredients and poured the wet ones in. I mixed the batter briefly until the ingredients were well combined.
- I then spooned the batter into prepared muffin cups until they were more than 3 quarters full. And then I garnished each muffin top with a sprinkle of whole rolled oats before baking them at 170 degrees Celsius for about 15 minutes. Oven temperatures may vary one from oven to another so it is best you use the temperature you normally use for baking cakes and cupcakes.
- To test if the muffins are done, poke a toothpick in the center of the muffins. Ideally, the toothpick should come out with tiny crumbs sticking to it (but not wet batter).
- Remove the muffins from oven and let them cool to room temperature.
- I baked my muffins in medium sized white muffin cups and when filling them up, I make sure the cups were almost full. That way, you will get well rise muffins which is how muffins should be. For the medium sized muffin cups, my recipe below yielded 9 muffins. Final number will really depend on the size of your muffin casings or tray size.
Banana Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
Here is the full printable recipe for my banana oatmeal muffins:
Banana Oatmeal Muffins
By Decorated Treats, Sep 14, 2019
Banana oatmeal muffins filled generously with mashed bananas and whole rolled oats for a healthier muffin option.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Keyword: Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- 110 g plain flour
100 g whole rolled oats
75g soft brown sugar
250 g bananas (mashed)
40 ml vegetable oil
¾ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp rolled oats for garnish
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and prepare muffin casings.
- Beat oil and egg until frothy. Mix in the mashed bananas and vanilla essence. Leave a side.
- Measure rolled oats into a large bowl. Sift in the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix with a whisk. Add sugar and salt and mix until the ingredients are well combined.
- Make a well in the center and pour the banana mixture in. Mix with a spatula until the ingredients are all combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups until they are almost full. Sprinkle the top with some rolled oats.
- Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center of the muffins come out clean with just a few crumbs.
- Remove the muffins from oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
And that is about it on my banana oatmeal muffins.
Happy baking :)
Pin this for later here:
Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Jan 03, 20 07:40 PM
Moist and fluffy Christmas cupcakes with cheerful sprinkles inside and outside. These cupcakes are so easy to make and yet so pretty and full of festive cheer!
Dec 23, 19 08:30 AM
Fancy making Christmas wreath cookies? Learn how to make this pretty poinsettia wreath cookies with this step by step tutorial.
Dec 21, 19 08:09 PM
Pretty snowflake sugar cookies made with the most perfect sugar cookie recipe. These cookies are painted on with edible gold, making them absolutely gorgeous cookie gifts for Christmas!
- Home >
- Other Treats >
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins